Videos! Scroll to see more...

Saturday, August 2, 2008

My little Mia




Today was really cold and windy. However, when I decided to take Mia into the community to watch some of our friends play rugby, I did not know this. After walking about 5 minutes I realized that it was really cold. I don't exactly understand rugby, but I get the idea. It's pretty similar to American football. I hate watching rugby on tv, but I really enjoyed watching the guys play today. They really impressed me. Rugby is a really big deal here. And these crazy rugby players don't wear pads or helmets! They play very very rough and yet they don't protect themselves. Why, you may ask? I HAVE NO IDEA!

God's really been changing my heart (in a good way) about community living. It really does have it's advantages. You always have friends around you and you can usually find someone who wants to play cards or watch tv or just chat. We all share responsibilities. Different people prepare meals through out the week. We each have like a "chore" or work duty. I have lots of awesome people around me that are positively influencing Mia and me. I have lots of good babysitters. Mia is very attached to a lot of people on the base. She's got 4 other little friends on the base that are right around her age. She's a very loved little girl.

Speaking of Mia...she'll be two and a half this month! I cannot believe it. She is the friendliest child I've ever met in my life. She is SOOO social. I suppose she has to be considering she's surround by so many people all the time. She makes new friends everywhere we go. Even today at the rugby field....she was making friends with a couple of ladies today and they had a bottle of flavored water. Mia said to them "Oh, you must give me some of your flavored water." The funniest thing about that is most of us Americans would word that sentence: "Oh, you have to give me some of your flavored water." The word "have" in English doesn't exist in Afrikaans it's some word that means "must". So, when they speak in English they would use "must" instead of "have". Mia never says have. She'll say "Mommy, we must go to the shop"... the translation of that is: "Mommy, we have to go to the store". It's so funny how African culture has rubbed off on her!

Not too much else happening here. I hope you guys are all having a great weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there Kirsten,

My name is Jessica. I am South African and I live in Nelspruit Mpumalanga. I did my DTS @ YWAM Durban in 2004. I was looking for Ywam Jbay's web page (I lived there for 3 months and still have a special place in my heart for ywam Jbay) and some how ended up on your blog!! I just loved reading about your little girl and how you experience community living! It made me think back to my "ywam life". I realy miss it so much and were just blessed by reading your blog! I just know that God has a plan for you here in South Africa and that even through tough times here, he is shaping you and molding you into the person He wants you te be. It would be great to chat to you, my email addy is jessicaroets@yahoo.com.

Hope you have an awsome day!!!