Videos! Scroll to see more...

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Discipleship




This week's lecture was on Lordship/Discipleship. This was a great week for me. No matter how many times I hear a lecture on Lordship, I can always get something out of it... in some way, God always challenges me and reminds me that there are areas of my life that are not completely surrendered. There are days that I wake up and give everything I have to God... then somewhere in that day I will lose patience, or I'll make some stupid decision and the Holy Spirit convicts me and reminds me that my life isn't my own... it belongs to God and every single thing I do needs to glorify Him.

Staffing this DTS has been one of the most challenging things I've ever done. I know that this is a "God thing" though, because it is so hard. Spiritual growth and maturity is challenging. Through our failures is where we learn the most. It's in my mistakes that I realize God's mercy and grace. So many times I've felt like I ALMOST couldn't do this, but I know without a doubt that because God called me to YWAM Durban to staff this DTS that he's equipped me for every challenge I'm facing. I am capable. If He's called me to it, he'll give me the grace I need. He'll provide for me and encourage me. It's part of His character. He doesn't call you to something then abandon you. He walks the road with you.

Discipleship is something I'm passionate about. It's a huge part of the reason why I'm here staffing this Discipleship Training School. I'm passionate about seeing people discipled. I want to spiritually challenge my students. To me, in order to speak into their lives and disciple them, I must be actively involved in their lives. I must be spending time with them daily. I must have one on ones with them and small groups. I must take them out for coffee and talk about life with them. I gotta LIVE LIFE with them. I guess it all comes down to relationship. If I have relationships with them, they build respect and trust with me and I with them. I love them, but that love came over time. It required me spending time with them and getting to know them. It required getting to know what makes them laugh, knowing about their families back home, knowing about their pets, knowing about when they got saved, knowing about their favorite foods, knowing about their pasts... knowing them. Relationships are vital.

We're all leaving for Worcester, South Africa tomorrow. It's a 20 hour bus ride. Mia's on my lap the whole time. We're going there for a huge conference. I know God's going to do something amazing next week in Worcester. Just keep praying for me and my team. I love you and miss you tremendously.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kristen - You are amazing and what you are doing is amazing. I know at times you have to feel doubtful and scared, but you are correct, God's grace and mercy is there for you. He knows your heart. You are an awesome young lady. Good luck at the conference...20 hours on the bus with Mia on your lap...that wears me out just thinking about it, but I know God will be with you both.
Love, Kathy