Videos! Scroll to see more...

Friday, July 18, 2008

My Confession...

So, as I wrote in my last blog, this week we're studying the book of Luke. I'm about to make an incredibly honest confession that I'm embarrassed about...here it goes: When God first spoke to me about doing the SBS I was really dreading having to read and study the gospels. Because, in my mind, I'd heard all the stories when I was a kid about how Jesus healed people and cast demons out of people. (Yes, what a horrible thing for a Christian to say...I know, I know! I said this was embarrassing. God's taught me a lot about humility...) Also, I really didn't understand a lot of what Jesus said. I found it all very confusing. Let's fast forward to now. I've read and studied 3 out of the 4 gospels so far. I literally love the gospels. I really enjoyed studying Mark and John a lot, but Luke blew my mind. God has really ministered to my heart through this book. I am actually disappointed that we only have one gospel left (Matthew). I wish there were more gospels.

On that note, last night we saw, "The Passion of the Christ". If you haven't seen it, watch it. Rent it tonight. I think that pretty much, if you're an American over the age of like 7, you know something about Jesus and that he died on the cross for you. Am I right? We've all heard the story, but it's more than a story. It's real. It really happened. It shows us just how much God loves each and every one of us. It's a real story about the Son of God living a perfect, blameless life, then laying it down as a sacrifice so the world could have eternal life; so we could be made right before God. Jesus made it possible for us to have a relationship with God. Watching that movie puts it all into perspective for me. Picturing Jesus being beaten beyond recognition and spit on and mocked...it really broke my heart. I was sitting there, watching this movie, praying that I wouldn't completely lose it and have a meltdown. Needless to say I think most people in the room watching the movie were crying. It's hard not to cry. Jesus Christ suffered and died for us! Thank God it didn't end there though. Just like Jesus said he would, he rose again and he's in heaven with God.

Tonight the whole YWAM base, about 70 of us in all, got together for a braai. (Basically a braai is the South African word for barbecue) We all ate great food and played volleyball and played some cards. It was a really fun night. Plus, the weather tonight was absolutely beautiful. If I had to guess I'd say it was about 73 degrees. Lately it's been in the 30's yet tonight it was warm! It was very strange weather, but it was perfect. Anyway, I miss you all and hope you have a wonderful weekend!

No comments: