Videos! Scroll to see more...

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Relationships.

Thank God for relationships. I have some amazing friends that I'm eternally grateful for. Unfortunately they're spread out all over the world, which is why I'm so thankful for cell phones, facebook and skype which keeps us linked together.

So, what is it in us that's so desperate for relationships? Why do we crave fellowship?

Let's take a look at Genesis and see what God has to say about relationships. Let's start with Adam and his relationship with God before the fall. God creates Adam and says it's good; very good to be precise (Genesis 1:31). So God and Adam have this perfect, harmonious relationship. Man and God are in PERFECT relationship. No sin. It's just Adam and God. But then God says something that literally astounds me. Check Genesis 2:18: The LORD God said, "It isn't good for the man to live alone". Listen to what God's saying! He's saying that the relationship they have isn't enough. Even in unblemished relationship with God, there was something lacking. It's like God is saying to Adam, "Listen, I've created you for relationships. I've created you with a vacancy that only another human being call fill". God was essentially saying that He wasn't enough. Wow. Almost sounds like I'm not supposed to be saying that. But it's true! God wanted more for Adam. He wanted him to have relationships with other human beings. God created us with this innate desire for relationship. It's his design for us and it's absolutely beautiful.

Which makes me wonder this: Is it right to spend 100 hours a week with your face in your Bible and devote nothing to relationships with others? Is that spiritual? Is that what God intended for us? Because I think he wants us to be pouring into each other, being completely sincere and accountable to each other. I think he wants us to befriend people society would normally overlook; to show compassion and love in every relationship. PLEASE do not get me wrong. I'm not saying that quiet times and reading your Bible are unimportant. I just think it's a combined effort. Can't have Jesus and lack relationships with others, yet can't have relationships with others and lack Jesus. Both are extremely important. Treasure Jesus, treasure relationships.

1 comment:

Somer said...

Kristen--I've never really thought about the part that you said "He's saying that the relationship they [God & Adam] have isn't enough. You know how withdrawn I can become, and sometimes I justify to myself that I just need to focus on my relationship with God. That's a total cop-out though. I need to focus on my relationship with God, while also devoting myself to good, productive, meaningful relationships in my life. Thanks girl! Miss ya lots! When do you get home or are you already?